Thursday, February 19, 2015



MIke Dodd: Potter



     As I watched this video on Mike Dodd, he really talks about how he action of making pottery. He explains that he believes a pot is a bit of the person who made it whether it be the shape they chose or the color or even where they chose to get their product for their pots they clay and glazes. it comes from within themselves where they have lived how they were raised. even though it might not be that evident to potter or the buyer all of these factors go in to a pot. He tells us about some of his tools that he has a small children's toy that was a meat tenderizer, paddles that he made, and anal flushes that were bought is Russia he uses now as a slip trailer. He wants his decoration to catch the glazes that he puts on his pots. he makes it a point to say that several times in this video. it is interesting to me that he is always doing something with his hands even if he is not throwing a pot he is making a new tool for decoration on those pots I like how he tries to buy his materials from places that he has lived it shows how much thought he puts into not just his pots, glazes and decorations but the environment around him too.

2 comments:

  1. A pot without a soul is just clay around a hole! or so I hear.
    This reminds me of Jordan Mullins who is trying so hard to make work out of local clay. It also reminds me of Shane Christensen when he says a fish on his pot is a self portrait. No one else need know why as long as he does.

    I agree that there's always a piece of the artist in the work. If there isn't then the artist is doing it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It also reminds me of a video I watched not long ago featuring one of my favorite artists. The video's about an hour long so maybe I'll tell some of the highlights in a blog this week.

    ReplyDelete